We would be grateful for any contributions to our Christmas collection. Greenhead College present their annual Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols from Holy Trinity Church in Huddersfield – but in a slightly different format this year. It premieres on YouTube at 5pm on Sunday 20th December.
The service features performances from the college brass ensemble accompanied by organ, soloists from the A Level Music groups and readings from staff, students and governors, with an address from Mike Wilkins, Vicar of Holy Trinity Church.
Brass arrangements and all recording, editing and video production by James.
The service has a retiring collection in aid of Simon on the Streets – head over here if you would like to contribute. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/greenheadcollegemusic
Flat Cap Brass have recorded a few Christmas songs to try and bring some cheer to the festive season, with arrangements by James. Head over to our YouTube channel or Facebook page to see them as they appear!
New track from RVEL Music
I had a great time running a course on ‘Teaching A Level Music Technology for the First Time’ via Zoom on Monday. The programme was below. Please do get in touch for any bespoke training I might be able to help with, either online or in person.
This NEW course is designed to support new music technology teachers and experienced music teachers in delivering high quality teaching and learning for Pearson/Edexcel A Level Music Technology. Led by our highly respected presenter and experienced examiner, James Reevell, the programme will take delegates through the most important aspects of each assessment component including the demands of the Non-Examined Assessment (NEA) and written examinations, with a particular focus on strategies for exam success.
The course aims to develop strategies for successful planning and preparation to ensure strong outcomes for students, what examiners are looking for in assessing each component based on feedback from previous exam series, along with chance to consider and discuss the logistics and day-to-day running of the course. The day is designed to balance breadth with depth, ensuring take home strategies and resources to support you.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Find out about the standard and depth of knowledge and skills students need for exam success in A Level Music Technology
- Listen to strong student work and find out what examiners need to see and hear when assessing recordings and compositions.
- Be assured of knowing the exam standard and level of what counts as outstanding work in each component
- Explore how to integrate non-examined assessment work and theory to ensure students develop their skills in application and evaluation for exam success
- Focus on extended response questions and what the examiner is looking for to award top marks
New music currently released as RVEL on Spotify, SoundCloud and Apple Music.
James will be presenting online for Keynote Educational on 23rd June 2020.
This course will demonstrate how to guide your best students to achieve Grades A and A* in future Pearson/ Edexcel A Level Music Technology examinations. The course will demonstrate exam-focused teaching and learning ideas for all components which will stretch and challenge able students and develop their higher level skills.
With feedback from an experienced examiner, this course will outline what is expected of high ability students and explore ways to build your teaching practice around this, and in order to secure those sought after A/A* grades for your most able students.
BENEFITS OF ATTENDING
- Focused on identifying the demands of the grades A and A* and providing strategies and materials to help teachers prepare students effectively
- A detailed look at the different demands of assessment and questions across the components and papers, linked to the challenges student aiming for higher grades face
- Take away effective methods to develop students’ critical listening, comparison and evaluation skills for the written papers to maximise the credit they achieve in the exam
- Take away approaches to aim for full marks in students’ non-examined assessment work
For more details and to book, head over to https://www.keynoteeducational.co.uk/tours/a-level-music-technology-aiming-for-grades-a-a/. You will receive a 10% discount if you book using code Keynote14.